To supplement their income after retirement, many seniors opt for financial instruments intended to help maintain a higher quality of life in their later years. Homeowners aged 62 and up in San Diego are eligible to apply for a reverse mortgage, provided they own a sizable property and have repaid most of their primary mortgages.
With a reverse mortgage, homeowners receive upfront funds through single payments or monthly installments. Borrowers do not have to repay the loan until they move from the property, sell it, or in case of death.
Who benefits most from a reverse mortgage?
Homeowners who wish to stay in their homes and maintain the lifestyle they are accustomed to, who do not want to move from their neighborhoods, and who would like ready cash at their disposal, should consider applying for a reverse mortgage.
Beneficiaries of such loans are protected if the mortgage balance exceeds the value of their home, and the heirs of the homeowners are not forced to repay more than the property’s value. Reverse mortgages can be paid off sooner. The heirs to the property have several options, from selling the home to settle the debt to paying off the mortgage and retaining the title to the property.
What are the negatives of reverse mortgages?
Before deciding to apply for a reverse mortgage, be aware of some disadvantages that may determine if a reverse mortgage is the best option for you. You may want to consider the potential downsides of reverse mortgages:
- High upfront closing and origination fees and insurance costs.
- Accumulated interests that reduce the amount of available equity over time.
- Property taxes and homeowners’ association fees must be paid regularly throughout the duration of the mortgage to avoid the danger of losing your home to foreclosure.
What are the advantages of reverse mortgages?
Some of the advantages of reverse mortgages are pretty obvious. These include:
- Being able to stay in the home you’ve spent your entire working life in as well as immediate improvement of your finances.
- Reverse mortgages do not require standard monthly mortgage payments. It may prove to be an excellent way to boost your financial security and provide you with substantially higher spending power.
- Although interest payments, insurance costs, and management fees of such loans are calculated monthly, they do not have to be repaid until the reverse mortgage termination. This allows more freedom to utilize funds in a manner that is tailored to your immediate or long-term needs. Such supplementing of income may prove crucial for the quality of life of senior homeowners.
- Reverse mortgages are highly flexible financial products that can be used in various ways depending on the homeowners’ wishes and needs. It’s important to note that reverse mortgages are treated for tax purposes as loans and thus are tax-free, whether they are received as a lump sum or in the form of monthly fixed incomes.
- Reverse mortgages have a very low risk of default. Therefore, homes cannot be taken for non-payment of the reverse mortgage loan as there are no repayments before you leave the property.
- Besides the main advantage of having a guaranteed place to live, reverse mortgages offer adequate protection. They are federally insured, so even if the lender defaults, the homeowner will still receive the agreed payments.
Bear in mind that interest rates for other forms of loans are dropping and it’s a good time to get the right type of reverse mortgage for you. Interest rates on 30-year mortgages are currently holding at 3%. Additionally, home values are rising steadily over the last few years and home equity has grown.
Who are reliable reverse mortgage experts in San Diego & nearby areas?
If you are interested in applying for a reverse mortgage loan in San Diego, or perhaps simply weighing your options, Downsizing San Diego are the professionals to call. From extensive market research, moving consultations to helping you downsize to a place in Downtown San Diego, we’ll work alongside you to ensure you choose the right choice for you and your family.
You can count on us to have our most experienced agent on it. We’ll make sure to provide you with the best service available, each step of the way. Give Nick Alameddin a call for all your inquiries today!